This is hot off the wire as TFL is currently proposing an extension for the Bakerloo Underground line.
From TFL Consultations
We are proposing to extend the Bakerloo line beyond Elephant & Castle to Lewisham, serving Old Kent Road and New Cross Gate, and would like to hear your views.
The extension will improve connectivity, increase the capacity and resilience of the transport network and reduce journey times between key destinations. This will help London to grow by supporting new homes and jobs.
In autumn 2014 we asked for views on an extension of the Bakerloo line. Following assessment of the consulted route options alongside those suggested by consultees, we have concluded that an extension to Lewisham via Old Kent Road and New Cross Gate is the best option for an initial Bakerloo line extension.
Progressing with these proposals is a commitment made by the Mayor, Sadiq Khan, and we have therefore allocated funds for its development in the TfL business plan. We have a lot of further work to do to progress these proposals and will consult further as our plans develop. The Mayor has committed to bring the completion date forward from 2030 to 2028/29.
Our application for planning permission to construct and operate the extension will be through a Transport and Works Act Order. This is subject to rigorous conditions and may result in a public inquiry at which further representations can be made.
The proposed route map
The extension would:
- Offer a new direct link into central London for people living or working in south east London, especially along Old Kent Road
- Provide capacity for 65,000 extra journeys in the morning and evening peak, to help relieve congestion on local bus services and National Rail services
- Support development and regeneration in south east London, and in particular the provision of vital new homes
- Relieve congestion on roads, reducing CO2 emissions and air pollution
- Reduce journey times along the extension to central London by up to nine minutes
- Provide an Underground train every two to three minutes between Lewisham and central London
You can read more on the consultation here
The consultation will close on 21st April 2017 – and you can do the online questionnaire here.
I invite you to follow me on Twitter and Google Plus which is @CLondoner92